Sunday, August 28, 2016

Another jeans refashion

Hi all! Have you heard of The Refashioners? It's an annual series hosted by Portia at makery.uk. This year, the theme is jeans. During the whole month of August guest bloggers show their inspiring creations. But there is also a sew-along, and since I love refashioning (especially denim), I decided to play along. So I went to the thrift store and returned with these two jeans...
Which I turned into this jacket...
I figured it would be hard to top my previous jeans refashion, but wanted to give it a try nevertheless. So I decided to make a denim 'military-inspired' jacket. I wanted to use the typical features of a military jacket -triangular cuffs, shoulder pads, and the (what's it called?) button placket- but in a subtle way. Furthermore, I wanted to reuse the original jeans details, but in such a way that they really got a new purpose, without the jacket looking obviously refashioned.
Thus, I went to the thrift store to find two pairs of jeans with similar weight and in different shades of blue. I used the lighter pair for the bodice and triangular cuffs, and the darker pair for the sleeves, button placket, collar and reverse applique at the front. To accentuate the features, I used bright red and gold topstitching thread. Initially I used regular thread, but I'm really glad I switched to topstitching thread. It really defines those features and adds a nice pop of color.
In my attempt to give the original details of the jeans a new purpose, I removed the zippers from both jeans and added them to the sleeve cuffs. 
Furthermore, I cut the back panel from one of the legs, with the characteristic inner seam in the center.
And I reused belt loops and buttons to keep the shoulder patches in place.
The inside was lined in yellow knit and red cotton, both from my stash. 
I added ribbing on the inside of the sleeve cuffs, to make them extra soft and comfortable. 

The jacket closes with a zipper (from my stash). The buttons are purely decorative... To be honest, I'm still a bit afraid of button holes, and I figured a zipper would be much more kid-friendly.
 The pattern is self-drafted. I originally drafted the pattern for the circus jacket that I sewed last winter. For this jacket, I adapted the sleeves, added the button placket and waistband.
 It was a fun puzzle to create the jacket, involving many 'magical' turning moments like this one...
... sewing the sleeve lining to the outer sleeve. 
I'm happy with the result, and so is my daughter! (Yes, that's a marshmallow in her hand... her payment for the photoshoot)
Thanks for the challenge, Portia!

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, I enjoyed the process from start to finish...

      Delete
  2. I love that you're afraid of buttonholes but not zips ๐Ÿ˜‰ After creating this I don't think you should fear anything!๐Ÿ‘Œ LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Portia. Well a zipper you can rip out again, right, button holes are just so definitive... Plus I never get the spacing and aligning just right. So creating a neat row of more than two button holes is impossible for me! I loved the challenge, and love to see all the other entries appearing online

      Delete
  3. Wauw, fantastisch weer! Mooier nog dan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so fantastic! Live everything about it! I can relate to the fear of buttonholes. My machine is so temperamental it's almost impossible to make nice buttonholes on anything thicker, like denim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! My machine is actually quite good at it, but I do not have the patience to measure precisely. So aligning and spacing more than two button holes is quite impossible for me

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Jenya. I think it's all about details, especially when sewing boy(ish) clothes.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Ashley. I love denim. It's so versatile and sturdy.

      Delete
  7. Wow, you did it again! Heel mooi, zoveel aandacht voor details.. Geweldig!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dankjewel Marieke! Het was een leuke uitdaging!

      Delete
  8. That is amazing!
    -MayravB

    ReplyDelete